I don’t have much to say about the Women’s Money In The Bank Match, except for some short bullets:
- Hope the rematch on Tuesday is featured as the WWE Match of the Week here in next week’s edition.
- You can’t say that either of the primary reactions (the first of feeling betrayed and the second of seeing it as decent booking) is wrong. Both are valid.
As always, if I’m missing anything that can be accessed without too much trouble, @ me on twitter: henrytcasey.
What I Watched
- Chikara: Johnny Kidd Invitational, 6/18
- Money In The Bank, 6/18
- Monday Night Raw, 6/19
- ROH Wrestling, 6/19
- SmackDown LIVE, 6/20
- 205 Live, 6/20
- Talking Smack Live, 6/20
- NXT, 6/21
- Lucha Underground, 6/21
- GLOW, 6/23
- Ring of Honor: Best In The World, 6/23
- Beyond Wrestling: Go With The Flo, 6/24
- Evolve 86, 6/24
Upcoming Watch List
- Evolve 87, 6/25
- Monday Night Raw, 6/26
- ROH Wrestling, 6/26
- SmackDown LIVE, 6/27
- 205 Live, 6/27
- Talking Smack Live, 6/27
- NXT, 6/28
- Lucha Underground, 6/28
Non-WWE Segment of The Week
Yep, that’s how little the non-WWE world cared about outside-the-ring segments this week. I’m giving an award not to a wrestling promotion, but a TV show about one. Because when I looked at that last sentence, I realized that GLOW and Lucha Underground have a lot in common.
Both wrestling-related TV shows feature emotional narratives, both require a suspension of disbelief (Marc Maron even being given responsibility as a director of a promotion) and both quite frankly make me feel things. I won’t spoil anything more about the show, other than to say keep your eyes open for wrestlers you might be familiar with.
Non-WWE Match of The Week:
Shayna Baszler vs Penelope Ford
Beyond Wrestling: Go With The Flow, 6/24
This was long overdue for me. Possibly due to how I don’t watch Shimmer (yet) and mostly see east coast wrestling promotions, I’d never seen a match featuring Shayna Baszler until this past weekend.
Baszler, whose name gets mentioned with reverence amongst those who have seen her, comes from (and still trains in) the world of MMA, where she produced a record of 15 wins in 26 matches, with 13 of those W’s coming from submissions. If you were as ignorant as I was, her decimation of Penelope Ford is an easy way to be in awe. If I had to compare her to other talents, I’d pick Zack Sabre Jr. and Matt Riddle. That’s how much of an anomaly she is for the American women’s wrestling scene.
Yes, it doesn’t have the wizardry or intensity of the ZSJ or Riddle matches listed below, but it had a greater impact on me, showing me a new kind of female wrestler. While the WWE audiences see Asuka as the paragon of the industry, Baszler’s the kind of talent that likely can’t appear in the Mae Young Classic, as she’d just run through the field too easily. Likely-signed talents such as Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai should dispatch the field of the MYC with similar ease if they do in fact appear.
Beyond Wrestling: Go With The Flow is available on FloSlam.
To hear more about Shayna, who is partially trained by Josh Barnett (who trained Shinsuke Nakamura) watch this excellent interview she did with Aubrey Sitterson, where they review a recent PWG show.
- Zack Quack 2, Chikara: Johnny Kidd Invitational, 6/18
- Matt Riddle vs Hallowicked, Chikara: Johnny Kidd Invitational, 6/18
- Mariposa vs Fenix, Lucha Underground, 6/21
- Frankie Kazarian vs Hangman Adam Page, Ring of Honor: Best In The World, 6/23
- Jaka vs Fred Yehi, Evolve 68, 6/24
- Zack Sabre Jr. vs Matt Riddle, Evolve 68, 6/24
WWE Match of The Week:
The Men’s Money In The Bank Ladder Match
Money In The Bank, 6/18
Many wanted this to be Shinsuke Nakamura’s match, and, despite his loss, it was. While Sami shined with that insane powerbomb, Owens took insane bumps, and Corbin actually won this thing, it was all about putting a spotlight on Nakamura.
By having Corbin wreck the show by taking the King of Strong Style out mid-entrance, it made the audience pop for Nakamura’s return later on all the greater, as well as their enthusiasm for each and every move he hit. Also, it’s impossible to ignore the intent-filled framing that the camera team gave the AJ/Shinsuke face-off.
Oh, and the match elevated Corbin to the main event. What more do you need?
- Samoa Joe vs Roman Reigns, Monday Night Raw, 6/19
- Dolph Ziggler vs Shinsuke Nakamura, SmackDown Live, 6/20
- Kassius Ohno vs Aleister Black, NXT, 6/21
WWE Segment of the Week:
Corey Graves Solves The Mystery of Who Attacked Cass?
Monday Night Raw, 6/19
I don’t know about you all, but I love True Detective Season 3 with Corey Graves and Kurt Angle.
But that’s not the real story here. The truth of the matter is that Big Cass and Enzo proved the haters (myself included) wrong by showing some depth.
- Roman’s Big Announcement, Monday Night Raw, 6/19
- Carmella and James Ellsworth opening promo, SmackDown Live, 6/20
- Kassius Ohno and Hideo Itami mend fences, NXT, 6/21